Systems and Discovery Services Librarian
- Post Date:April 22, 2020
- Apply Before: January 19, 2021
- Views 62
- Offered Salary Depends on QualificationEmployer Name University of California Berkeley
Systems andDiscovery Services Librarian
Library InformationTechnology Department
University of California,Berkeley Library
Hiring range: AssociateLibrarian to Librarian (rank commensurate with experience and qualifications)
Salary Range: $84,260 to 96,266per annum (rank commensurate with experience and qualifications)
This is a full-timeappointment available starting June 2020.
The University ofCalifornia, Berkeley Library seeks a dynamic, collaborative, and user-orientedcolleague as the Systems and Discovery Services Librarian who will beresponsible for the development, support, maintenance, and migration of thelibrary’s integrated library system (ILS), discovery services, and catalog. TheSystems and Discovery Services Librarian works collaboratively with a widerange of libraries and units to support the functionality of the library’sintegrated catalog and the discovery layer. The position works as part of adepartment that provides services to all UC Berkeley Libraries. Thisenterprise-wide department is a key component of the UC Berkeley Library’sintegrated information technology ecosystem.
The UC Berkeley Library isan internationally renowned research and teaching facility at one of thenation’s premier public universities. A highly diverse and intellectually richenvironment, Berkeley serves a campus community of 30,000 undergraduatestudents, over 11,000 graduate students, and 1,500 faculty. With a collectionof more than 12 million volumes and a collections budget of over $18 million,the Library offers access to scholarly resources in all formats and robustservices to connect users with those resources and build their related researchskills.
Library IT (LIT), adepartment within the Library, supports the Library’s mission by providingtechnical support for the Library including developing, purchasing, and/orsupporting all types of hardware platforms and software applications. Areas ofcurrent work include an enterprise integrated library system along with thediscovery platform and affiliated workflows; scalable digital library systemarchitectures; web services infrastructure; application development; andservers and systems support.
This position reports to theHead of the Library IT department and manages a staff of four ILS and metadataspecialists.
This position coordinatesand leads the administration and migration of the library services platform andcollaborates across departments and libraries that handle cataloging, metadata,circulation, collection management, user services, and discovery. The positionalso provides coordination around the hardware, software, and associatedperipherals and processes related to the ILS, so that faculty, students andstaff have access to the full range of system functionality including an onlinepublic access catalog (OPAC), and library staff have appropriate access to thediscovery layer, analytics, circulation, acquisitions, cataloging, collections,and electronic resources management modules and workflows as needed.
This position will:
• Manage and support theLibrary’s suite of information management systems related to the ILS, whichcurrently include OPAC (OskiCat), EDS (discovery), Melvyl (consortial unioncatalog) and several, complex automated processes.
• Coordinate and collaboratewith the e-resources and acquisitions unit on the knowledge base, linkresolver, and other services in relation to our ILS.
• Act as liaison between thevendor and the Library for problem resolution and enhancement requests and actas Library’s representative to UC-wide and national user groups.
• Provide end-user supportin the form of reporting production and distribution, database maintenance, andsystem modifications as required.
• Consult and coordinatewith library staff with regard to system capabilities and functionality,forwarding requests for system modifications and/or enhancements to the vendoras appropriate after they’ve been coordinated and vetted at the Library level.
The position will also leadand coordinate a team planning and transitioning to ExLibris’s Alma/Primoplatform from Innovative Interfaces’ Millennium. This project, which is theimplementation of a Systemwide Integrated Library System (SILS), is a majoreffort for all of the 10 University of California campuses and the CaliforniaDigital Library. It will involve a coordinated effort from all libraries anddepartments/divisions within the UC Berkeley Library. The project will involvemassive data migration, complex system configuration, revamping of many libraryworkflows and automated processes, and a comprehensive communications andtraining program for Library staff.
To be an effective colleagueand a manager, this position will be a fair, progressive leader to Librarystaff; lead library-wide discussions; aid in creating and communicating Librarypolicies; manage personnel matters; contribute to department-wide andlibrary-wide priority setting and project management; encourage ongoing staffdevelopment; and foster an environment of collaboration, creative thinking, andcontinuous improvement.
UC Berkeley librarians areexpected to participate in library-wide planning and governance, and workeffectively in a shared decision-making environment. Advancement in theLibrarian series is based in part on professional contributions beyond theprimary assignment; the successful candidate will show evidence or promise ofsuch contributions to the Library, campus, UC System, and profession
Minimum basic qualificationrequired at the time of application:
• Advanced degree.
Additional requiredqualifications by start date in position:
• Minimum of three yearsexperience working in academic libraries.
• At least two years ofacademic library experience in implementing procedures to integrate, maintainand/or migrate library systems and discovery platforms with campus, university,or third-party systems.
• Master’s degree from anALA-accredited institution or equivalent international degree.
• Experience supporting,developing, or migrating to one or more integrated library discovery interfaces(such as Primo, Alma, Summon, EDS, III: Millennium/Sierra, Blacklight, WorldCatDiscovery, etc.).
• Experience with ExLibris’sAlma/Primo platform is highly desirable.
• Experience determining andconfiguring back-end functionality in an ILS (configuring loan rules, importtables, etc.)
• Knowledge of trends,issues, and resources in library systems, assessment, metadata and catalogingstandards, and data management in academic libraries.
• Knowledge of MARC, AACR2,and RDA.
• Understanding of andexperience with library technology standards and current access servicesprotocols to access and retrieve online content (e.g. Z39.50, OpenURL, NCIP,DOI, CrossRef, OAI).
• Knowledge of current andrecent industry trends in search, discovery, and delivery systems.
• Demonstrated ability toplan, coordinate, and implement effective programs, complex projects, andservices.
• Demonstrated commitment todiversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Experience managingindividuals and groups in direct reporting and/or matrix reportingrelationships
• Understanding of userexperience process to improve the discovery of library collections for users
• Demonstrated supervisoryexperience including developing personal and professional growth opportunitiesand fostering and building capacity in others, including teams
The UC Berkeley Library iscommitted to supporting and encouraging a multicultural environment and seekscandidates who can make positive and imaginative contributions in the contextof ethnic and cultural diversity.
As a management position,this librarian position is not represented by a bargaining unit and is coveredby the UC Academic Personnel Manual (APM).
Librarians are entitled toappropriate professional development leave, vacation leave, sick leave, and allother benefits granted non-faculty academic personnel. The University has anexcellent retirement system and sponsors a variety of group health, dental,vision, and life insurance plans in addition to other benefits.
First review period will beMay 18, 2020. This recruitment will remain open until filled.
Submit applications onlineat https://apptrkr.com/1895636
The University of Californiais an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicantswill receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete Universityof California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct (linkis external).
Send inquiries to:
Library Human ResourcesDepartment
110 Doe Library,
University of California,
Berkeley, CA 94720
Email: [email protected]