Supervising Librarian - Engagement Services
- Post Date:October 28, 2019
- Views 113
- Offered Salary 60,000 - 80,000Employer Name City of Evanston
The Supervising Librarian works 37.5 hours per week and can anticipateworking one to two evenings per week and every other Saturday.
The person in this position will be a leaderand innovator to launch the new library branch at the Robert Crown Center. Thishighly motivated candidate will develop a staff that reflects and engages with thediverse population in order to plan, deliver and continuously evaluatecollections, programs and practices that provide equitable access to resources.This librarian will engage with a variety of individuals and organizations inEvanston and particularly with the staff of the Parks, Recreation &Community Services Department with whom this facility is shared, in order topartner with the community to meet the diverse expectations and needs of Evanstonresidents.
ESSENTIALFUNCTIONS(Specific assignment will include some or all of the following):
· · · · · · · · .
MINIMUMREQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
· · · · Knowledge,skills, and abilities in the following areas:
- Ability to lead employees in a positive, professional and collaborative manner and provide orientation to new employees and on-going training to employees, interns and volunteers and the public as to the policies and procedures of performing library services.
- Ability to review and document the work of team members and ensure that high standards are achieved and deficiencies are corrected.
- Knowledge of current supervisory principles and practices, incorporating fair and inclusive standards.
- Ability to lead the Youth Services Librarian and the Branch Assistants in planning and executing programs in the library and the community independently and in partnership with individuals and organizations.
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to use Internet search engines, word processing software, email, on-line computer catalogs and Windows operating systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively and comfortably in public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, draw valid conclusions and plan reasonable actions based on these conclusions.
- Ability to engage with diverse community members to learn their concerns and aspirations and plan together for programming and resources.
- Ability to prioritize many variable duties, requests and responsibilities.
- Ability to prepare business letters, expositions, summaries, and reports that communicate clearly.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
The ability to work in a primarily sedentaryposition, with the ability to occasionally use force to exert up to 20 pounds.The ability to lift, carry or otherwise move objects, books, materials, etc.using up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of forceconstantly to move objects.
The employee is subject to insideenvironmental conditions: protection from weather conditions, but notnecessarily from indoor temperature changes.
There are no environmental hazards associatedwith this classification.
Under the supervision of the NeighborhoodServices Manager, work is performed with the guidance of managerial staff. The individual has contact with other Libraryinstitutions and staff at all levels, and uses the necessary resources to meetand achieve goals and/or objectives. Work is assigned through specific projects and customer/clientelerequest. The employee is responsible forprioritizing work tasks for subordinates and self, and for identifying andutilizing the appropriate resources to resolve a problem or situation and/orresearch and analyze specific requests. Work performance is reviewed through observation, completion ofprojects, status reports, conferences and meetings. Leadership of Adult Services team members,competence of staff, public service provided, innovation and morale of Adultservices team are all functions for which employee will be evaluated. Guidance is provided through the City Code,departmental policies, City operating practices and procedures, and otherresources as applicable to specific projects assigned. Work is evaluated at least annually, withrespect to customer service, problem-solving ability and performance ofemployee and Adult Services team in accordance with this classificationstandard.
To apply for this position, please applyonline at www.cityofevanston.orgon or before the closing date.
Chosen candidateswill be required to provide proof of licenses, certifications, and educationrequired for this position. Candidates will also be subject to qualifyingpre-employment processes, including medical examination, drug/alcohol screen,employment verification, and criminal background check.
The City of Evanstonis an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employmenton the basis of a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, disability,national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status,military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or genderidentity. The City of Evanston is also committed to accessibility forpersons with disabilities. Any person needing mobility or communicationsaccess assistance should contact Human Resources at 847-448-8204 (voice) or847-448-8052 (TTY).
Related Jobs (7)
Center for Black Literature & Culture (CBLC) Multi-media Project Manager on February 11, 2020 Temporary