Senior Branch Assistant
Performs a variety of technical library and clerical support functions for the Pierce County Library System; provides customer service to the public; responds to customer inquiries; conducts circulation, reference, and readers’ advisory tasks; assists in processing library materials and maintaining branch or Outreach Services facilities and collections; acts on behalf of the Supervisor in their absence; and performs other related duties as assigned. Floating roles will be assigned to work across a variety of worksites/branches within a given region.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employee in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Responds to public inquiries and provides service to customers in person and by telephone; assists in resolving customer issues and complaints; assists customers in locating library materials, monitors customer behavior.
- Receives and processes fines for library fees and fines; waives library fines as warranted; counts and balances monies received for library fees and fines; prepares bank deposits and/or weekly financial reports.
- Performs a variety of circulation duties.
- Conducts routine reference and/or readers’ advisory functions.
- Instructs and assists customers in the use of library equipment, computers, and databases; monitors equipment for proper functioning. Schedules meeting room usage.
- Unpacks, processes, sorts, and shelves library materials as necessary; maintains periodicals and/or other assigned collection materials.
- Prepares and maintains displays; updates bulletin boards, posters, and flyers. Participates in coordinating and administering library programming as assigned.
- Performs general clerical duties including coordinating the ordering of office supplies.
- Performs opening and closing duties; ensures the building is properly secured.
- Acts on behalf of the Supervisor in his/her absence and performs related duties.
- Performs a variety of functions to include other duties as assigned or required.
- Interprets, applies, and explains the Library’s policies and procedures; resolves customer concerns and requests.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- No ongoing supervisory responsibility is exercised. May direct the work of Pages, and Volunteers as needed and may be assigned temporary charge of a branch in the supervisor’s absence.
Core Skills & Qualities
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving
- Change and Learning
- Positive Attitude
- Professional Integrity