- Post Date:January 15, 2020
- Apply Before: January 15, 2021
- Views 44
- Offered Salary Depends on QualificationEmployer Name Vassar College
Department: Main Library
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001780
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke free/tobacco free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Vassar College Libraries seeks an innovative and collaborative professional to join its Academic Engagement group as the Science Librarian. The ideal candidate for this position will have a dual passion for the sciences and for undergraduate liberal arts education, as well as a strong interest in the rapidly-changing world of scientific scholarly communication. As the liaison to science departments and multidisciplinary programs, they will bring a learner-centered perspective to instruction and research support, and they will take initiative in communicating and partnering with faculty and other campus colleagues. They will embrace opportunities to grow in their knowledge of scholarly communication, open access publishing, and research data management, and will serve as a resource and advocate in these areas for others in the Vassar community.
This is an exciting time to join Vassar College and the Libraries. Recent curricular developments include the launch of “Intensives,” courses that foster collaboration across academic departments and encourage innovative approaches to teaching and learning both inside and outside of the classroom. The Libraries’ Academic Engagement group, which builds on VCL’s long-standing research services program, is also undergoing a transformation to underscore our emphasis on teaching and learning and our collaborations in and beyond the classroom. The Science Librarian will play an essential role in envisioning and helping to shape the future of the department.
• Serve as a liaison to academic departments and programs through research consultations, instruction in a variety of modes, collection development, and outreach and engagement efforts.
• Support research and grant-writing in the sciences by providing consultation and instruction on data management tools and methods.
• Provide resources for copyright guidance and support for scholarly communication and open access publishing across disciplines, and promote open access initiatives and the college’s institutional repository.
• Provide daytime, drop-in reference service to the Vassar community.
• Individually and collaboratively, develop workshops, events, and other programming relevant to the Vassar community.
• Contribute to the Academic Engagement department’s programs and services, and lead one or more of the department’s initiatives on a revolving basis (e.g., overseeing student workers).
• Review, select, and acquire materials to support the Vassar curriculum and assist in negotiating contracts for large publisher packages.
• Participate in broader campus initiatives, including campus-wide committees, task forces, planning groups, pre-major advising, etc.
• Participate in professional development activities including attending library and subject area conferences, training workshops, etc.
• Master’s degree in library or information science, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability and desire to build relationships and collaborate across multiple constituencies.
• Commitment to providing research support and instruction that respects individuals’ backgrounds, cultures, and learning preferences.
• Advanced skills in providing general reference service as well as discipline-specific research support.
• Academic background and/or subject expertise in one or more scientific disciplines.
• Knowledge of current research and pedagogy in the sciences and a vision of how the library can support these evolving needs.
• Knowledge of research data management and scholarly communication issues and a desire to promote openness in research through the college’s institutional repository.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member in a rapidly changing environment.
• Competence and sensitivity in working at a college in which students are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
Required Applicant Documents
Contact Information for 3 References
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.
All applicants must apply online at: https://apptrkr.com/1772669.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Related Jobs (38)
ACTING HEAD, RESEARCH COMMONS Full Time One-year Term on February 17, 2020 Full-Time
Librarian (Emphasis in User Experience and Technology) on February 13, 2020 Full-Time
Music Librarian (Tenure Track Assistant/Associate Professor) on February 12, 2020 Full-Time