Resource Acquisitions Librarian
University of California, Berkeley
Hiring range: Associate Librarian
$73,751 to $88,871 per annum, based upon qualifications.
This is a full time appointment. The expected start date is September 1, 2019.
The University of California, Berkeley invites applicants for the position of Resource Acquisitions Librarian. Reporting to the Head of the Acquisitions Department, the successful applicant will have a thorough understanding of and experience with managing one-time acquisitions in all formats, and licensing, and management of approval plans. The Resource Acquisitions Librarian will advise the ordering and receiving unit and will be responsible for assisting in the assessment of approval plan and vendor performance.
The UC Berkeley Library is an internationally renowned research and teaching facility at the nation's premier public university. A highly diverse and intellectually rich environment, Berkeley serves a campus community of more than 30,000 undergraduate students, 11,000 graduate students, and 1,500 faculty. The Library comprises 20 campus libraries including the Doe/Moffitt Libraries, the Bancroft Library, the C. V. Starr East Asian Library and numerous subject specialty libraries. With a collection of more than 12 million volumes and a collections budget of over $17 million, the Library offers extensive collections in all formats and robust services to connect users with those collections and build their related research skills. The Doe/Moffitt Libraries bring special focus to the humanities, social sciences, international and area studies, and undergraduate services and the intersections between them. Discover more about the Library via our Web site: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu
The incumbent will provide direction in managing the acquisition of one-time materials and approval plan budgets, vendor relations; and as assigned work leader provide direction to five full time staff in the Ordering and Receiving Unit. S/he will work closely with the Head of Acquisitions, Scholarly Resources Strategy Librarian, the AUL for Scholarly Resources, and subject librarians to shape and improve acquisitions practices related to one-time materials. The Resource Acquisitions Librarian will report to the Head of the Acquisitions Department. Duties will include:
• Manage approximately 30 approval plans, coordinating plan details and budgets between selectors and vendors and gathering data to assess plans in collaboration with the Scholarly Resources Strategy Librarian.
• Provide direction to the ordering and receiving staff, setting workflows and processes
• Review and negotiate license agreements with publishers/vendors to reach favorable pricing
and licensing terms and arrange trials of e-resources for one-time purchases, including
complex negotiations for data sets
• Establish and manage excellent publisher/vendor relationships
• Establish and maintain effective workflows with acquisitions and cataloging staff for all one-
time purchases, physical or electronic
• Collect and analyze approval profile performance and manage automated record loads;
assess vendor performance in consultation with selectors
• Support Scholarly Communication team’s efforts to improve student access to affordable
• Participate in UC Berkeley groups and committees as well as UC-wide groups as appropriate
UC Berkeley librarians are expected to participate in library-wide planning and governance and work effectively in a shared decision-making environment. Librarian advancement is partially based on professional contributions beyond the primary assignment; the successful candidate will show promise or evidence of such contributions to the Library, campus, UC system, and profession.
Minimum Basic Qualification(s) at the time of application:
• Advanced degree
Additional Required Qualifications by start date in position:
• Two years of work experience within a library acquisitions department
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
• Master's degree from an American Library Association accredited institution or equivalent international degree
• Two years or more experience working in acquiring print or electronic books or data sets in an academic library.
• Two years or more experience managing monographic approval plans.
• One year or more experience negotiating license agreements for electronic resources.
• Demonstrated interpersonal, communication, analytical, organizational, and problem-solving
• Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ability to work creatively and effectively both
independently and as a team member
• Experience with e-resource management, e.g., implementing system support for e-resource
workflow, license negotiation, providing and maintaining access to e-resources
• Familiarity with technologies used in acquisitions, particularly integrated library systems, and
processes such as purchasing and claiming
• One year or more experience managing staff
The UC Berkeley Library is committed to supporting and encouraging a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make positive and imaginative contributions in a context of ethnic and cultural diversity.
UC professional librarians are academic appointees and are represented by an exclusive bargaining agent, University Council - American Federation of Teachers (UC-AFT). This position is in the bargaining unit.
Librarians are entitled to appropriate professional development leave, two days per month of vacation leave, one day per month of sick leave, and all other benefits granted non-faculty academic personnel. The University has an excellent retirement program and sponsors a variety of group health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans in addition to other benefits.
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This recruitment will remain open until fille.
Submit applications online at https://apptrkr.com/1512444
Applications must include the names and contact information of three references who are knowledgeable about the applicant's qualifications for this position. References will only be contacted for individuals under serious consideration.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscriminatioHarassmentAffirmAction
Send inquiries to:
Susan E. Wong
Director, Library Human Resources Email: [email protected]
Offered SalaryDepends on Qualification
Employer NameUniversity of California, Berkeley
Related Jobs (4)
Assistant Librarian – Collection Development Librarian on October 14, 2019 Full-Time
Associate Director, Collections and Research Services (Chief Curator) on September 4, 2019 Full-Time