Outreach and Engagement Librarian
- Post Date:September 13, 2019
- Views 272
- Offered Salary Depends on QualificationEmployer Name California State University Channel Islands
The newest addition to the California State University system, California State University Channel Islands(CSUCI) opened in 2002 with 629 transfer students and welcomed its first freshman class in fall 2003.Since that time, the University has grown and developed into one of the premier public universities notonly in the Cal State system but also in the nation. Indeed, in its 2018 ranking, U.S. News & World Reportlisted CSUCI as the 18th highest-ranked reginal public university in the western United States. Moreover,CSUCI was ranked 18th of over 1,300 schools in CollegeNET’s Social Mobility Index in 2017. In acommitment to inclusive excellence of opportunity for its students, the University offers an array ofdegrees and community and social activities.
CSUCI is a public comprehensive university that engages students in critical inquiry and is dedicated toeducate leaders for a global society. CSUCI is located in Ventura County and home to more than 6,800undergraduate and 240 graduate students. We are proud to note that our campus is a designatedHispanic Serving Institution (HSI). 50% of the CSUCI undergraduate students are Latinx, 29% are White,2% are African-American, 5% are Asian-American, and 4.5% are multiracial. We seek applicants who arededicated to serving California State University, Channel Islands’ (CSUCI) growing diverse student bodyas a tenure-track senior assistant librarian beginning in the 2020-2021 academic year.
The John Spoor Broome Library team is comprised of 12 librarians and 11 staff members. A critical partof the CSUCI experience, the Library supports the learning and research communities of our diversecampus through its collections, and robust information literacy program. The Broome Library is prizedby faculty and students alike for its careful attention to physical space, collections, special programming,and services such as equipment lending. The Library’s commitment to comprehensive reference service,active learning pedagogy, multicultural programming, and range of methods for gathering student inputreflect its alignment with and support of the campus’s four mission centers. Furthermore, theintegration of information literacy standards into the campus General Education learning outcomescreates an effective foundation for its core educational mission.We believe that the library is a powerful force for equity and we embrace the strategies for excellenceas articulated by the Association of College & Research Libraries which value different ways of knowingand seek to identify and work to eliminate barriers to inclusive and equitable services, spaces, resources,and scholarship.
The Outreach & Engagement Librarian works with the CSU Channel Islands campus to design andimplement effective and innovative library programming to engage the campus community in acollaborative and equitable fashion. The Outreach & Engagement Librarian will work closely withlibrarians, faculty, and university partners to lead and develop library initiatives that support studentsuccess, equity, recruitment, and retention, with a with special focus on first generation, Latinx, African-American, and Native American students.At the heart of this new position is a chance to harness evidence from a growing body of retention andlibrary research that suggests that academic libraries have a positive impact on student outcomes. Thisposition will support student-centered learning, focusing on building library research skills and engagingstudents with the tools of scholarship. The Outreach & Engagement Librarian will build relationshipswith both academic and non-academic units across campus in order to raise awareness about thevarious ways that the library can serve as an essential partner in facilitating the success of our diversebody of undergraduate students.
– Master of Library Science (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited program
– Demonstrated experience providing vision and leadership in the area of outreach, leading the library inintentional design of programming and partnerships with a focus on proactive inclusivity
– Evidence of a strong commitment to service excellence to a diverse community including a focus onfirst-generation, Latinx, African-American, Native American, and other minoritized groups
– Evidence of flexibility, adaptability, and the ability to work successfully in a complex, dynamic, anddiverse environment with competing demands
– Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced change-oriented environment with a student-centeredoutlook- Demonstrated forward-thinking approach to challenges and opportunities
– Evidence of effective cross-cultural interpersonal and communication skills (i.e., multiculturalcompetencies)- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment
– Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively in a diversecommunity
– One (1) or more years’ professional experience in an academic library setting
– Experience designing intentional programming and creating collaborative partnerships to supportstudent learning, success, and equity
– Evidence of cultivating relationships with faculty, students, staff, and community members toencourage collaborative partnerships
– Experience working with library users of diverse ages, as well as from various socioeconomic, cultural,and academic backgrounds
– Experience in outreach and marketing to students and faculty with a focus on equity and inclusion
– Experience with needs assessment and program development, and the ability to provide leadership inproject management
– Experience teaching library instruction to a diverse student body
– Experience providing reference services to a diverse population
– Dedication to research and scholarship in the field of library and information sciences
– Provides vision and leadership in the area of outreach, leading the library in intentional design ofprogramming and partnerships with a focus on proactive inclusivity
– Designs intentional programming and creates collaborative partnerships to support student learning,success, and equity
– Leads needs assessments, assessment of outreach initiatives, and participates in assessment ofuniversity-wide initiatives
– Collaborates with library units and leads efforts to publicize and market library services, programs, andresources
– Coordinates the library’s presence at campus outreach events, including campus orientations and newstudent events
– Designs exhibits, public programming, social networking, and other innovative techniques to engage adiverse student community
– Works with colleagues and students to foster creative and intellectual collaboration with the academicand co-curricular life of the college to generate engagement with the library’s collections, staff, andservices
– Develops programming to promote student and faculty scholarship
– Collaborates with other university units in support of student success, diversity, recruitment, andretention initiatives
– Cultivates relationships with faculty, students, staff, and community members to encouragecollaborative partnerships that promote diversity and equity in library programming
– Works with local and regional off-campus partners, leveraging the Center for Community Engagement,to create collaborative relationships that contribute to student learning
– Provides reference and instruction services to a diverse student body
– Collaborates with librarians and university partners to integrate library collections and services acrossthe curriculum
– Serves on library and university committees and task forces
– Pursues scholarship as expected of a tenure-track position
Application DeadlineScreening of applications will begin October 7, 2019. Priority will be given to applicants who meet thescreening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled.
For more information and to apply online please visit our website at: www.csucifacultyjobs.com.
Related Jobs (13)
Community Engagement Library Assistant – Part-time on February 14, 2020 Part-Time
Center for Black Literature & Culture (CBLC) Multi-media Project Manager on February 11, 2020 Temporary
Instruction and Outreach Librarian – Assistant/Associate Professor on January 31, 2020 Full-Time