Director of Library Experience, Branches
Richland Library is seeking an outstanding leader to serve as our next Director of Library Experience, Branches. This position is responsible for providing overall leadership, direction, management, administration and supervision for six (of twelve) branch locations.
Our Mission: Learn. Create. Share.
Do you want to help lead an organization that is committed to changing lives every day? With nearly 400 employees across thirteen locations, we demonstrate that learning takes many paths in today’s twenty-first century library. We’re continually inspired to find new ways to serve our super-users, entice new customers and enhance current services. Be a part of our team and contribute to our mission of helping our customers learn, create and share.
Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. We believe in creating limitless possibilities for employees and customers, as guided by our promises:
We are… welcoming, caring, helpful, fresh and fun, and committed to offering our customers the best!
Richland Library at a glance:
Staff: 400 +
Revenue (annual): $39,499,974
Items circulated(annual): 4,404,707
Door count (annual): 1,693,503
Under the supervision of the Chief Customer Officer, the Director of Library Experience, Branches is responsible for:
• Providing overall leadership, direction, management, administration and supervision of the work of six locations in keeping with the Library’s goals, mission and direction; 100+ employees across 6 branch locations, each open up to 70 hours per week.
• Coaching, developing and mentoring location managers; overseeing hiring of location managers and staff.
• Working in close coordination with partner Director of Library Experience, Branches and Director of Library Experience, Main.
• Planning, recommending and following through with additions, changes and updates to facilities, staffing and services as appropriate; analyzing and responding to changing uses and needs.
• Participating as a member of the Management Team and Executive Leadership Team; contributing to the development of long-range plans; working closely with other Library leaders to collaboratively make decisions and implement change.
• Managing system-wide projects and teams.
Desired Skills and Competencies
• Ability to develop and deliver innovative services and outstanding experiences
• Familiarity with design thinking, service design or human-centered design
• Ability to evaluate situations and people quickly and accurately
• Proactive in meeting customer needs
• Comfort with risk-taking and ambiguity
• Ability to quickly adapt to — and successfully lead staff through — change
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
• Strong communication, organization and time-management skills
• Ability to actively coach, support and promote team members
• Initiative, stamina and enthusiasm
Collaboration and Relationship-Building
• Collaborative decision-making and negotiation skills
• Tact, courtesy and empathy
• Flexible and adaptable in working with partners and stakeholders
• Honest, respectful and equitable treatment of others to build an environment of trust
Richland Library offers a full range of benefits to salaried employees that support employees, spouses and their children.
Some of our benefits include:
- Medical, prescription drug, dental and vision
- Retirement savings plan
- Paid time off and holiday pay
- Resources to help improve your overall well-being
We value giving back to our community and encourage all employees to volunteer to support their favorite non-profit organizations.
Celebration, Appreciation and Play
We know that employees need a chance to unwind and recharge. Science tells us that play makes us smarter and reduces stress. We offer break rooms and employee lounge areas to play games, workout, read or just relax.
American Library Association accredited MLS degree preferred, but not required. Five years of satisfactory experience in leadership or management roles. Valid driver’s license with safe driving record. Ability to perform functions of the job.
Location, Salary and Hours
Location: Richland Library Main (1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201), with frequent travel to branch locations throughout the county (up to 20 miles)
Salary:$80k + minimum salary + benefits
Hours:37.5 hours per week, including some weekends and evenings Job Classification Level: 119 (FLSA Status: Exempt)
How to Apply: Resumes and cover letters are accepted via email: [email protected] Please reference job title on the subject line.
No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone. All other applicants will be notified via email when position is filled.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified candidates without regards to race, color, sex (to include pregnancy, childbirth, and all related medical conditions), religion or belief, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, marital status, or any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. The Library also complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws with regard to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities. Please indicate if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Offered SalarySee listing
Employer NameRichland Library
Related Jobs (12)
Senior Library Manager – Leader of Northwest District Branches on August 9, 2019 Full-Time
Instructor Librarian/Coordinator of Access Services on July 31, 2019 Full-Time