Dean, Milner Library
- Post Date:October 22, 2019
- Views 45
- Offered Salary Depends on Qualification
Illinois State University seeks a visionary leader committed to the mission, vision, and values outlined in the University’s strategic plan to serve as dean of Milner Library. The dean, who reports directly to the provost and vice president for academic affairs, has oversight of all areas of Milner Library’s operations, including personnel, budget, policy, copyright education and compliance, constituent relations, and development. The dean leads Milner’s involvement in the University’s strategic initiatives and is charged with strategic planning for Milner Library that is consistent with the University’s mission, vision, values, and strategic directions. The dean provides leadership that supports the University’s core value of diversity and inclusion by fostering comprehensive programming and planning. Illinois State is an institution that deeply values shared governance; therefore, its dean of university libraries must be able to work with all constituents to develop, articulate, and enact a clear vision for the 21st century library. Because Milner’s mission is deeply woven into the fabric of Illinois State University, the dean is a visible and vital representative on the Provost’s Advisory Council and numerous other internal and external committees at both the local and state level. Faculty and staff at Milner have a long history of partnering with campus faculty in achieving student success and offering instruction to complement the curriculum at every level. The dean is expected to foster those collaborations.
Milner Library supports Illinois State’s academic programs with a service-focused staff of 80, an institutional budget of approximately $9,000,000 and a collection of over 1.4 million print volumes, 200,000 ebooks, over 100,000 electronic journals, and 30 digital collections. Milner also houses the University Archives, and its Special Collections holds the Circus & Allied Arts collection, one of the best of its kind in the world. Milner Library is clearly a beloved destination on campus with an annual gate count exceeding 650,000. The library is currently undergoing renovation to house a new Student Success Center and the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology. Master planning has been completed for additional renovations, so aligning facilities planning with strategic initiatives is a key component of the dean position.
Please view the full leadership profile at http://provost.illinoisstate.edu for a detailed description of Illinois State University, Milner Library, and the dean opportunity.
1. Master’s degree from an ALA accredited program or international equivalent;
2. A record of academic and professional achievement warranting tenure at the rank of full Professor at Illinois State University;
3. At least five (5) years of administrative leadership, including supervision;
4. Demonstrated ability to provide vision and leadership toward the achievement of a research university library’s mission and goals;
5. Demonstrated strong commitment to the support of teaching and research;
6. Demonstrated knowledge of the role of information technology in academic libraries;
7. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external constituencies, including donors and potential donors;
8. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with colleagues in a shared governance environment;
9. Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
10. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment; and,
11. This position is Security Sensitive and subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
We invite inquiries, nominations, and applications. Initial review of applications will begin on November 18, 2019, and continue until the position is filled. Candidates should provide a curriculum vitae, a letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described in the leadership profile, and the names and contact information of five references. References will not be contacted without prior knowledge and approval from candidates. These materials should be submitted electronically via Illinois State University’s application portal. The direct link to apply is as follows: http://www.jobs.ilstu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=78405. Questions and nominations may be directed to Lisa Mason, Director for Executive Search Services, at [email protected] or 309-438-7487.
Illinois State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding affirmative action, nondiscrimination, and anti-harassment. Illinois State University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, order of protection, gender identity and expression, ancestry, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, unfavorable military discharge, or status as a veteran inemployment, educational programs and activities, or admissions.
Founded in 1857,Illinois State is a coeducational, residential university that emphasizes undergraduate study. Its six colleges offer approximately 160 undergraduate majors, 91 master’s programs, 14 doctoral degrees, and 30 certificate options. Illinois State was named a 2019 Top 100 Public University based on U.S. News & World Report rankings and has repeatedly been named a “Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Illinois State University is located in the twin-city community of Bloomington-Normal, with a population of approximately 132,000 and is located within easy driving distance of the financial and business centers in Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis. Expansion Management Magazine rated Bloomington-Normal as one of two metro areas with a five-star quality of life, giving the community high rankings in such areas as standard of living, quality of schools, and traffic and commute.
Related Jobs (39)
Associate Dean, Research & Open Scholarship Division on November 28, 2019 Full-Time
Research & Instruction Librarian for Science & Mathematics on November 25, 2019 Full-Time
Associate University Librarian for Collections and Consortia on November 25, 2019
Librarian for Research Services, Institute of Fine Arts Library on November 21, 2019 Full-Time