Assistant Professor & University Archivist
- Post Date:November 5, 2019
- Apply Before: December 9, 2019
- Views 19
- Employer Name University of Illinois at Chicago
The University of Illinois at Chicago Library seeks a dynamicand visionary individual for the position of a tenure-track UniversityArchivist. The University Archivist has primary responsibility for planning,developing, and maintaining the university archives program. https://library.uic.edu/about/employment).
About University Archives
The University Archives serves as the official“institutional memory” of the university, providing long-term preservation andaccess to the collection documenting its development and history. TheUniversity Archives is part of the Special Collections and University Archives Departmentthat is distinguished for its strong collections in health sciences, socialjustice and the history of Chicago. The university archives are located at boththe Richard J. Daley Library and the Library of Health Sciences, Chicago.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, and implement the university archives programwithin the academic research library setting.
- Identify, select, and acquire UIC archival collections,faculty papers, and institutional records of enduring value.
- Prioritize, oversee, and participate in accessioning,arrangement, description and preservation of archival collections in physicaland digital formats.
- Collect contemporary content using a strategic and creativeapproach and build on a strong foundation that includes records reflectingdiverse perspectives of campus life.
- Collaborate with Records and Information Management Servicesin the management of university records; advise campus units and departments onscheduling and preservation of their records.
- Promote the interpretation and understanding of theuniversity’s history through reference, outreach (including creation ofphysical and digital exhibits), research, publication, and instruction.
- Supervise staff and/or student and intern work
- Provide reference services for Special Collections andUniversity Archives.
- Build a record of progressive scholarly and professionalachievement to fulfill the University requirement for tenure andpromotion.
- A Masters in Library Science (MLS) from an American LibraryAssociation (ALA) accredited program
- Formal coursework or training in archival management andtheory, including electronic records
- Two years of experience working in an academic or researchenvironment
- Experience working in an archives or records managementsetting
- Supervisory experience in any setting
- Experience using archival collection management software,such as SKCA, ArchivesSpace, or Archon
- Familiarity with born-digital materials and electronicrecords
Salary/Rank/Contract: Tenure system faculty appointmentsbegin at $65,000; twelve month appointment; 24 days vacation; 12 days annualsick leave with additional disability benefits; 11 paid holidays; medicalinsurance (contribution based on annual salary; coverage for dependents may bepurchased); two dental plans available; life insurance paid for by the State;participation in one of the retirement options of the Illinois StateUniversities Retirement System compulsory (8% of salary is withheld and is taxexempt until withdrawal); no Social Security coverage but Medicare paymentrequired;
For fullest consideration, apply by November 25, 2019 withcover letter, supporting resume, and name and address of at least threereferences. The position close date is December 9, 2019.
Your cover letter should address how you would integratediversity, inclusion and equity in building relationships with diverse stakeholdergroups and individuals.
All applicants must submit an online application throughjobs.uic.edu. To apply, click on the following link: https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=124746
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on alljob candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Backgroundchecks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmativeaction, equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the goal of building aculturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching andworking in a multicultural environment. We strongly encourage applications fromwomen, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans.
Related Jobs (5)
University Archivist & Records Manager on September 25, 2019